School Sex Abuse Attorney

When you send your child to school, you expect him or her to go into a safe environment where he or she can receive an education. You do not expect your child to suffer from irreparable harm, especially sexual abuse – but unfortunately, these crimes occur throughout Florida and sometimes, schools can turn a blind eye to the fact.

If you or your child suffered from sexual abuse at school and the school was negligent to the fact, Rodal Law can help you hold these officials accountable. You can claim economic and non-economic damages for your injuries through this litigation. Clients choose Rodal Law to represent their school sex abuse claims for a number of reasons.

  • Rodal Law will never pass your case off to a paralegal. You will work closely with an attorney from start to finish.
  • Our firm has experience litigating over 470 cases in federal court, with nearly double that amount in Florida state court.
  • Rodal Law values open and honest communication throughout your case. You will always remain up to date about important developments and deadlines.

Holding a School or District Responsible for School Sexual Abuse

Schools have the responsibility to keep their students free from harm, including from sexual abuse perpetrated by their employees. If you or your child suffered from sexual abuse at the hands of a teacher or school official, you could file a lawsuit against the school or school district if they knew about the abuse or failed to properly screen the employee.

You could hold the school district accountable under the federal law Title IX, which prohibits sexual harassment and assault at public schools. To prove a successful lawsuit under Title IX, you and your attorney will have to prove that the school knew about the employee’s sexual abuse of your student and had the power to take action against it. You will then have to prove that the school did so little to respond to the abuse that it was deliberate indifference.

To hold the district accountable for negligent hiring practices or supervision, you could file a lawsuit against the school as well. You will have to prove that the school owed your child a duty of care and breached that duty by failing to supervise the abuser or screen him or her during the hiring process, if the abuser had a past criminal history.

Criminal Versus Civil Actions Against Sexual Abusers

If you or your child experienced sexual abuse at the hands of an educator, you may believe that criminal charges are your only pathway to justice. However, this misconception is not always the case. Criminal charges are meant to punish the educator for his or her actions, not to provide you or your child with remedies. Even if your abuser spends years in jail, you may struggle to recover from the abuse.

Civil lawsuits are a different process than criminal charges. You can still file a lawsuit against an educator who committed an act of sexual abuse if he or she already spent time in prison for the crime. The purpose of these lawsuits is to provide compensatory damages to you or your child to help you recover from the sexual abuse.

You can claim both economic and non-economic damages in school sex abuse lawsuits in Florida civil court.

  • Past and future medical expenses related to the sexual abuse, including doctor’s visits, psychological services, medications, and hospitalizations
  • Emotional distress, mental anguish, and other forms of emotional pain suffered due to the abuse
  • Mental illnesses that you or your child developed because of the abuse, including post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression
  • A loss of quality of life, loss of earning potential, disability, and other physical or emotional losses that you or your child sustained because of the abuse
  • Punitive damages for especially reckless and negligent behavior

If you or your child suffered sexual abuse at school and you experienced negligence on behalf of school officials, legal options are available to you. Contact Rodal Law today to learn more about filing your civil lawsuit and to schedule your free consultation.